Matt's Movie Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

July 22: THE ISLAND

The Island



The Story: Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson star as two members of a seemingly utopian society. They are selected to travel to "The Island," the last natural, uncontaminated location on the planet, a supposed paradise. When they find out all is not what they seem, and that they are actually clones used for "spare parts," they escape into the real world with their captives hot in pursuit.

The Good: Great trailers. Two of the hottest stars around right now. A guy with lots of experience in action movies... even if that guy is Michael Bay. I can't quite explain it... this just looks fun. It's got a fun style to it, not just the streamlined future look (at least once they get into the real world). And Scarlett Johansson is really, really hot. Really hot.

The Bad: Michael Bay sucks. And quite a lot. Looking at his IMDb list I find one movie that I enjoyed in The Rock. And every thing else was "Meh" to "Clawing my Eyes Out." It makes me very, very nervous to like a Michael Bay preview. It just feels like I'm setting myself up to be disappointed, and perhaps cry. But maybe, hopefully, please Dear God allow it, he's gotten better. I'd be willing to blame some of his crapfests on writing, and the guy who wrote this one is someone who worked on a few things I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Verdict: Fun, I think. Michael Bay's tendancy to be Michael Bay may get in the way a bit, but hopefully a good script, a good cast, and Scarlett Johansson's hotness can suppress it. She's younger than me!

My Guess: * * 3/4, thanks to the MB factor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home