Matt's Movie Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Attention "Ain't It Cool" Talkbackers, Nay-sayers, and general assholes: Shut Your Big Freakin' Mouths

There's a War of the Worlds review forthcoming, but I've wanted to say something along these lines for months now... ranting ahead...

There are times I really wish people would just be quiet, and let something exist as it is. Between internet posters and ‘journalists’ in local papers *glaring at the Boston Phoenix*, I came dangerously close to losing all interest in Revenge of the Sith, a movie I’ve been dying to see for about 15 years. I realize me basically saying I want people to keep their opinions to themselves is kind of hypocritical, especially when I post it in my review blog. But these were comments made before the movie even came out, where people who hadn’t seen the movie said it was going to suck… despite one of the most kick-ass trailers in a long time. This, if you haven’t figured it, doesn’t make any freakin’ sense. But I let it get to me a little bit, and even questioned my love for the film after I saw it the first time. That was very, very silly of me.

Something similar apparently happened before War of the Worlds. I’m just happy I didn’t hear about any of that crap until after I saw the movie. Tom Cruise makes a jackass of himself on Oprah, and now people say his relationship is a publicity stunt? He’s outspoken and supportive of his chosen religion, and now people say they won’t go see his new movie – which has nothing to do with Scientology? Hell, Mel Gibson went a hundred steps further with The Passion of the Christ, and that managed to make $370 million domestically. Sure, I found Tom Cruise kinda tiresome when he was talking to Matt Lauer, and I’m not entirely sure his arguments stand up the way he wants to believe they do, but if that’s what the man thinks, then that’s that… no longer my problem

So… point being… take the movie for what it is. Let the actor do what he wants outside the film. Would the average business owner want to be boycotted for his religious beliefs if they had nothing to do with his business? Sure, that’s been done on a massive scale before… in Nazi Germany. It still happens today, but it’s not something we ought to be proud of. Support the movie if you want to see the movie… not because you think one of the actors has a big mouth on completely unrelated issues.

1 Comments:

  • I read AICN everyday and learned a long time ago just to skip the talk back section. Trust me just skip it. The Talkback section is basically a microcosm for the entire interenet - An offered opinion from someone who wasn't asked for it.

    I like your blog keep it up!

    By Blogger The Jastrom, at 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home