Matt's Movie Blog

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Superman Returns

Seen 18 June 2006 at AMC Fenway (advance screening)
* * (out of 5)


My lack of anticipation has been confirmed. “Superman Returns,” while having a fun scene here and there and some great stuff from Kate Bosworth and Frank Langella, is the not the second coming of the Man of Steel. For everything hopeful about it, this is a miss.

This is an odd review to write, because I know there are a lot of people out there who will probably enjoy Superman Returns, but I was not one of them. At no point was I able to get myself excited for the film, and that extended straight into the closing credits. Based on that, even though I know a lot of people will like this film, I just can’t bring myself to recommend it.

Five years since astronomers discover a potentially healthy Krypton, Superman (Brandon Routh) returns to Metropolis after mounting his own investigation. Both for Supes and alter-super-reporter Clark Kent, the world is vastly changed. Most notably on both fronts, intrepid reporter and loving mommy Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth) has written an article called “Why the World Doesn’t Need Superman,” and is now raising her son, Jason (Tristan Lake Leabu), with fiancé Richard White (James Marsden). What Supes doesn’t know is that old nemesis Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) has returned to Metropolis as well, with something that belongs to Spandex-Man in tow: pieces of kryptonite Lex swiped from Kal-El’s Fortress of Solitude, which gave our hero the only remaining connection to dear old dad (Marlon Brando). Lex intends to use the crystals to create a new world… and then charge rent! Superman would never allow that to happen… WOULD HE???

The more removed from the screening of this 10 days ago, the less fondly I remember it. There was just very little in the film I truly liked. I bought Bosworth and Langella, moreso the latter, and James Marsden impressed me by not being as forgettable as I’ve usually found him. But much of the film is just off-the-mark, and that adds up to it falling significantly short of the greatness it was supposedly destined for.

Read the rest at HBS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home