Matt's Movie Blog

Friday, March 10, 2006

Long past due... Brokeback Mountain

Still not seeing too much in the way of movies... my show is taking up tons of time right now, cause we open next week. Not only time, but that takes me away from working, so I don't have much in the way of disposable income. But I'm bored at work, so maybe I can hammer a few long-overdue reviews.

Brokeback Mountain
Sometime in January; Loews Boston Common
* * * 1/4 (out of 4)

Controversy aside, I had little interest in seeing this one. Previews and all the hype around it made it sound like not at all my type of film. I actually only ended up seeing it because I was at the theater with my girlfriend, it happened to be playing next, and I decided I was in the right sort of mood (no idea what that mood actually was, but it worked). I was nicely surprised - and she was somewhat disappointed, because she had much higher expectations going in.

As everyone knows now, Brokeback Mountain follows two cowboys who meet on a sheepherding job in Wyoming in the early 1960s and form a highly unorthodox and unusually close bond. They return every couple years together to Brokeback, striking a very precarious balance between their home lives (both are eventually married and have children) and the secret they keep with each other, which eventually rips their everyday lives apart through divorce, abandonment and death.

I've had a bad experience with E. Annie Proulx. I read The Shipping News in high school, and it was painful to fight through. So I was very impressed with the fluidity of the story. A lot of what makes the scenes flow nicely comes from the dialogue, more of a credit to Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, who have now won Oscars for their efforts, and Heath Ledger, who handled the minimal and dry part of Ennis with grace and obvious emotion. Without these elements to guide me through (assuming all the others were of the same quality) I would not have enjoyed Brokeback as much as I did.


Read on at HBS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home