Matt's Movie Blog

Monday, March 06, 2006

I'm a bad, bad blogger... Oscar thoughts

Yeah. It's nearly been two months again. Since the last Netflix post, I've rehearsed and performed one play, and I'm now in rehearsal for another, directed a 15-minute piece, and done the normal classes-work-play balance as well.

But last night was the Oscars, which is worth a quick note, I think. Twas a fun show, helped in no small part by the fun little party my girlfriend and I organized (and by the sufficient amount of wine I consumed at said party). Here are a few of my personal favorite moments from last night's show.

- Jon Stewart making a Death to Smoochy joke, and a good portion of the audience not knowing what he was talking about.

- The March of the Penguin guys bringing stuffed penguins to the stage with them.

- Nick Park and Co. wearing Wallace bow-ties, and bringing enough to share.

- Jon Stewart: "Do you think if we teamed up and pulled this statue down... democracy would flourish in Hollywood?"

- The long-overdue admission, acceptance and celebration of the fact that the entire world is in love with George Clooney. A couple Clooney-lights :

- The winner for one of the short categories thanking the Academy for seating her next to George at one of the luncheons.

- The Chronicles of Narnia makeup team: "I'm just glad Clooney doesn't do makeup."

- Clooney's own acceptance speech, starting with, "So I guess I'm not getting best director."

- His part in Jon Stewart's opening montage.

- Finally, in a sea of traditionally garish and overdone costumes (though more subdued this year than in the past), Clooney will still be named the sexiest man there, simply wearing a no-frills black tux.

Still a few things disappointing during the show, though. Jon Stewart seemed nervous, and his typical Daily Show style didn't seem to be playing the crowd too well. I think that was more them taking themselves too seriously than Stewart bombing, cause I thought he was pretty spot-on. Certainly beat the last few years. Also, I am upset about the complete lack of love for Good Night, and Good Luck, which deserved each and every award it was up for (yes, I too am in love with George Clooney). And Crash is NOT the best picture of last year. Sorry. Not happening. In my opinion, it was GN&GL, but I was expecting that Brokeback would shut Paul Haggis down. My faith is misplaced.

So for next year:

- Get Stewart back. Hopefully he can be more comfortable, and really cut loose. Though I did like that he didn't really cut into anyone like Chris Rock did. Stewart was funny, but still respectful.

- Lock Randy Newman in a studio at Pixar so we have some real Best Song nominees. I don't care if he competes against himself. Just no more of that crap from last night.

- Add the Best Ensemble Cast category. I have heard it mentioned by journalists many, many times, but considering how long it took to get an animated feature category, I won't hold my breath.

- Give Clooney an Honorary Oscar for "Most Beautiful, Amazing Thing Ever Created." We all know he deserves it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home